Travel Tips & Suggestions
- Puerto Plata (POP) (Jet Blue and United Airlines, daily) – is a slower 1.5 hour, 40-mile drive through several towns, including Cabarete, an international kite-surfing village
- Santo Domingo (SDQ) (Jet Blue, UAL, and Delta, daily) – is a 2.5-hour drive from the south of the island, through the mountains on a pretty highway
- Santiago (STI) (Jet Blue and American, daily) – is a beautiful but curly 2-hour drive through the mountains. Not to be done at night.
We highly recommend having the beach club set up a taxi for you. Driving in the Dominican Republic is very different from the U.S. and you will be much more at ease with a driver. While staying with us at the beach club, you will be able to use taxis to get around to local activities and outings.
- The Feast of the Goat – Mario Vargas Llosa
- In the Time of the Butterflies – Julia Alvarez
- How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents – Julia Alvarez
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao – Junot Diaz
- Drown – Junot Diaz
- Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies (1552) – Bartolome de las Casa (Spanish friar)
- Paolo Carozzo, From Conquest to Constitutions: The Latin American Tradition of Idea Of Human Rights, Human Rights Quarterly 25, 2 (May 2003)